Punjab CM Launches ‘Roshan Gharana’ Solar Initiative for Low Electricity Consumers

Lahore: In a significant step towards sustainable energy solutions, Chief Minister (CM) of Punjab, Maryam Nawaz Sharif, has approved the 'Roshan Gharana' programme aimed at providing solar panels to households consuming up to 500 units of electricity. The initiative seeks to alleviate financial burdens caused by rising energy costs and will officially kick off following a cabinet meeting scheduled for Tuesday.

According to Zameen.Com, CM Maryam Nawaz Sharif highlighted that the Punjab government will furnish solar systems to millions of consumers using between 50 to 500 units of electricity monthly. The government will subsidize 90% of the costs, while the remaining 10% will be borne by the consumers themselves. This subsidy model is designed to make the transition to solar power financially feasible for a large segment of the population. The solar panels will be financed through easy instalments spread over five years, further easing the financial impact on consumers during these challenging times.

Additionally, the first phase of the programme will target the poorest households, ensuring the distribution process is transparent. The instalment amounts will be adjusted seasonally, being lower in winter months. The government will also be the sole supplier of the solar panels, which will allow for a balanced mix of government electricity and solar-generated electricity tailored to users' needs.

Moreover, CM Maryam Nawaz Sharif also presided over a meeting of the provincial Apex Committee, which included top military, intelligence, and government officials. The committee focused on reviewing the security situation in Punjab, particularly in light of the upcoming Muharram observances, and discussed enhanced security measures for foreign nationals, including those involved in CPEC and non-CPEC projects. A comprehensive security strategy, utilizing high-tech monitoring and a tiered deployment of security forces, has been planned to ensure peace and harmony throughout the province.